You know that if you’re in need of PT services in the Amherst, New Hampshire area that the team here at Amherst Physical Therapy is here for you! And you know that no matter whether you’re recovering from surgery, or treating a chronic issue such as tendonitis or neck and back pain, we put your needs first. However, here’s our list of ten things that you may not have realized about physical therapy, physical therapists, and the profession:
(1) October is National Physical Therapy Month, which celebrates the work that physical therapists do to improve the health our nation’s citizens.
(2) PTs do not only perform their work in clinics or private practices. Physical therapists can work in settings such as hospitals, schools, and nursing homes as well!
(3) There are over 200,000 physical therapists in the United States. (via www.apta.org)
(4) Your PT can treat you for vertigo. (via moveforwardpt.com)
(5) Yes, physical therapy can be as (or more!) effective than surgery to address a variety of conditions.
(6) PTs formed their first professional association in 1921, known as the American Women’s Physical Therapeutic Association. (via www.apta.org)
(7) What is a classic piece of equipment that your parents may have in their basement that is also widely used in physical therapy and rehab center across the US? The NordicTrack Classic Pro Skier. (via guidedoc.com)
(8) The ‘massaging’ of a muscle by a physical therapist will NOT be like the soothing massage you would expect at a spa.
(9) There are different types of physical therapy, which are: orthopedic, post-operative, cardiovascular, neurologic rehabilitation, or pulmonary rehab.
(10) Yes, many physical therapists hold advanced degrees!